In this 1963 photo taken by Leigh Wiener and provided by the National Park Service, prison guard Jim Albright, second from left, leads out the last prisoners from the federal penitentiary. The National Park Service on Thursday celebrated the 50th anniversary of Alcatraz Island's closure as a federal penitentiary with an exhibit of newly discovered photos of the prison's final hours. The new display opened five decades after the last shacked prisoners were taken off the infamous prison in San Francisco Bay that once held the likes of gangsters Al Capone and Mickey Cohen.
- Lawrence man critical after Water Country wave pool rescue
- Market Basket managers say they'll quit unless Arthur T. returns
- County attorney hopeful hasn't voted since 2008
- MBTA officer charged in Salem, Methuen pursuits
- Neighbors still unconvinced on new dorms