AMY SWEENEY/Staff photo Ashley Urquiza, left, 11, and Litzy Silverio, 11, use flash cards to test one another during the subtraction and multiplication module at the South Lawrence East 5th Grade Academy. The students have an 8 hour day and the last hour is working in small groups on specific skills.
- Easton Street fire leaves nine people homeless; several firefighters suffer heat exhaustion
- Pregnant woman arraigned for allegedly dealing heroin
- Haverhill police search for would-be armed robber
- College closes Salem, Nashua campuses
- Salem seeks to stop illegal campaigning