Rudy Baez of Lawrence, a self-described "big-idea guy" and business administration major, successfully created and managed UMass Lowell's nationally recognized "Mission: All In" athletics loyalty program. He is one of this year's winners of the Chancellor's Medal for Student Service and after graduation, he plans to pursue a master's degree in higher education administration at UMass Lowell. Baez, known for his upbeat personality, says he didn't want to attend college until he spent a year working in a call center. At UMass Lowell, Baez has discovered and honed leadership skills through student groups like Men Achieving Leadership Excellence and Success (M.A.L.E.S.) and the Latin American Student Association and as a student alumni ambassador, orientation leader and resident adviser, while juggling two part-time jobs.
- Car hits pole, knocks out power in Methuen
- Lawrence water main breaks, closing parts of Canal street
- Longtime Plaistow police chief dies
- 'White supremacist' arraigned in abuse of step-daughters
- Fire erupts early this morning at closed St. Anne Church in Lawrence