EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

August 22, 2012

NH fire sparked by boy playing with lighter


The Eagle-Tribune

---- — DOVER, N.H. (AP) — Authorities say a boy playing with a lighter caused the fire at a New Hampshire apartment complex that damaged several units.

The fire was reported Monday afternoon at the Westgate Village complex in Dover.

No serious injuries have been reported.

Police say a 9-year-old boy had been playing with a lighter in a breezeway, causing the fire. WMUR-TV reports that the boy will not face charges but will be diverted to alternate programming instead of court.

Four units have been damaged by the fire and four others by smoke and water.

Police helped residents evacuate and the Red Cross is helping those who were displaced by the fire.