EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

May 12, 2013

NH fundraiser set for bombing victim Bauman

The Eagle-Tribune

---- — NH fundraiser set for bombing victim

NASHUA — A fundraiser in New Hampshire will take place to benefit Boston Marathon bombing victim Jeffrey Bauman, whose vivid description of one of the bombing suspects helped police crack the case.

The fundraiser is set for Saturday from noon to 5 p.m. at Tulley Automotive in Nashua, a short distance from the Costco store where Bauman works. Bauman lives in Chelmsford, Mass.

Bauman’s picture was featured prominently in newspapers around the world, captured in a photograph being whisked away from the finish line, his legs sheared by shrapnel.

The fundraiser will feature live music, raffles and the sale of pizza by American Flatbread, which is donating all proceeds to Bauman.

When he awoke from surgery, he described the man he saw drop a backpack at his feet.

Marathon victim tosses Sox pitch

BOSTON — A Rhode Island woman who was injured in the Boston Marathon bombings took to the pitcher’s mound at a Red Sox game.

Heather Abbott of Newport, R.I., threw out the ceremonial first pitch at the start of the Toronto-Boston game in Boston on Saturday.

Abbott had gone to Boston on April 15 to watch the Red Sox play on Patriots’ Day and was waiting in line to get into a crowded restaurant when the bombs went off. Doctors amputated her left leg below the knee.

A fundraiser has helped raise more than $50,000 to help Abbott pay medical bills

NH town steps back into Civil War

NEW BOSTON — The new Hampshire town of New Boston is stepping back in time as it celebrates its 250th anniversary this weekend.

Re-enactors from Massachusetts and Maine have joined New Hampshire residents for a Civil War camp re-enactment.

The New Boston Historical Society has expanded its visiting hours Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with a featured exhibit on Civil War memorabilia.

Other events planned throughout the rest of the year include an art festival and concert.

Worcester nurses plan 1-day strike

WORCESTER — More than 2,000 nurses at UMass Memorial Medical Center have scheduled a one-day strike on May 23 to protest what the nurses’ union calls unsafe staffing levels.

The Telegram & Gazette reports that the hospital plans to hire replacement nurses and promises that patient care will not be affected.

Nurses say they’ll strike for 24 hours unless they reach a contract agreement with the hospital.

Lynne P. Starbard, co-chairwoman of the union representing nurses at the Memorial and Hahnemann campuses, says the hospital is ignoring the union’s requests for more staff.

UMass Memorial said a strike would be disappointing and that the hospital is willing to continue good-faith negotiations. It says it has proposed adding nurses to several departments at a cost of nearly $11 million a year.

Family of Vt. man sues gun makers, shop

KEENE — The family of a Springfield, Vt., man who was killed when a gun he accidentally dropped fired a bullet into his head is suing the gun shop where he bought the weapon and several firearms manufacturers.

In a complaint in Superior Court in Keene, N.H., the estate of Edward Davis alleges the gun had a faulty safety mechanism allowing it to discharge. The complaint seeks damages from the Alstead Gun Shop in Alstead, N.H., and companies the suit says may have helped design, manufacture and bring the revolver to market.

Davis died in 2010 after he dropped the gun while showing it to this mother.

The Valley News reports that the gun shop denies the allegations, and that the gun manufacturers have not assigned lawyers to the case.

Toddler dies 2 weeks after alleged assault

NASHUA — A 2-year-old New Hampshire boy has died two weeks after he was hospitalized with serious injuries allegedly sustained at the hands of his mother, officials said.

Devon Gould died Friday, Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeff Strelzin told WMUR-TV. Strelzin could not be reached Saturday for additional comment.

The boy’s mother, 21-year-old Unique Gould, has been in jail since her son was to a local hospital then Massachusetts General Hospital on April 26 with what police said were serious brain injuries.

When questioned by police, Gould said she struck her son numerous times across the buttocks and also across his head, according to an affidavit. She told detectives she “blacked out” at one point and admitted to hitting the boy “very hard,” the affidavit says.

Gould was charged with first-degree assault, a felony, and held on $100,000 bail. Officials said the charge has not been upgraded.

Gould was scheduled to next appear in court on Monday for a probable cause hearing on the assault charge.

— Associated Press