LAWRENCE -- An 11-year-old girl sleeping on the first floor of a Brook Street three-decker was grazed by a bullet early today after a confrontation between residents on the second floor and an intruder.
Police Chief John Romero said six to eight people were on the second-floor front porch of the three-story building at 33 Brook St. sometime before 4 a.m. when a man entered the building's common hallway and walked up to the second floor.
He was confronted by the people on the second floor and asked what he was doing there. He said he was looking for a woman on the third floor. He was told there was no one there and he had to leave.
The man asked to use the bathroom on the second floor first but was refused and was escorted from the building.
A short time later, Romero said, the occupants of the second floor, back on the porch, saw a burgundy-colored car drive by. They recognized the man in the passenger seat as the man they had encountered earlier.
The car parked near the house, and gunfire erupted.
"The house was sprayed with bullets," Romero said. Eight or nine casings were later found.
One of the bullets went through a wall and grazed the collarbone of the sleeping 11-year-old. She was taken to Lawrence General Hospital, but the wound is considered minor.
Romero said a year-old boy was also sleeping on the first floor but was not injured.
So far no arrests have been made.
Brook Street is a block east of Union Street near Dr. Nina Scarito Park.
Derry teen credited with saving family home
A 16-year-old Derry boy is credited with saving his family's home from fire yesterday afternoon.Continued ...
Fatal fire cause 'undetermined'
METHUEN — Investigators have been unable to pinpoint what caused a fatal fire early Wednesday morning at 22 Buttonwood Drive but do not believe it was suspicious, Fire Chief Steven Buote said. Thelma McDermott, 79, and her husband, James McDermott, 8Continued ...
LATEST: Methuen fire victims identified
METHUEN -- Officials have identified the victims of this morning's fire at 22 Buttonwood Drive as James and Thelma McDermott, who owned the house.Continued ...
- NEW UPDATE: No smoke detectors at house where couple died?
- UPDATE: Fire victims believed to be couple in their 70s
- Photo Slideshow: Fatal fire in Methuen
- Two dead in Methuen house fire
- Tuesday, February 25, 2014
- Reams won't seek another term as county attorney
- Thursday, February 20, 2014
- Dick Collins, beloved Andover coach and educator, dies
- Officials release names of CO poisoning victims
- Tuesday, February 18, 2014
- Three adults dead in Plaistow
- Thursday, February 13, 2014
- Woman found dead at Salem motel
- Wednesday, February 5, 2014
- PHOTO SLIDESHOW: Snow storm February 5.
- Sunday, February 2, 2014
- UPDATE: Victims of I-93 crash identified
- Monday, January 27, 2014
- Early-morning fire destroys Windham home
- Friday, January 24, 2014
- Beausoleil sentenced to 15 to 30 years
- Tuesday, January 21, 2014
- Salem police officer terminated
- Wednesday, January 15, 2014
- Salem police officer charged with simple assault
- Wednesday, January 8, 2014
- Methuen, Lawrence police investigating armed assaults
- Tuesday, January 7, 2014
- At least 2 sent to hospital in multicar crash
- Seabrook officers suspended, video shows man's head slammed against concrete wall
- Thursday, January 2, 2014
- Two dead in New Year's Day crash after fleeing police
- Derry teen succumbs to crash injuries
- Wednesday, January 1, 2014
- Derry Crash Update: At least one teen in critical condition
- Two teens flown from Derry crash scene
- Tuesday, December 31, 2013
- Haverhill Police on the lookout for alleged bank robber
- Lawrence man arrested for beating 10-week-old with an iPad
- Monday, December 9, 2013
- Threatening message found at Sanborn High
- Snow, sleet make for slick N.H. roads
- Tuesday, December 3, 2013
- Police seek ID of 1969 murder victim
- Derry teen credited with saving family home