LAWRENCE -- An 11-year-old girl sleeping on the first floor of a Brook Street three-decker was grazed by a bullet early today after a confrontation between residents on the second floor and an intruder.
Police Chief John Romero said six to eight people were on the second-floor front porch of the three-story building at 33 Brook St. sometime before 4 a.m. when a man entered the building's common hallway and walked up to the second floor.
He was confronted by the people on the second floor and asked what he was doing there. He said he was looking for a woman on the third floor. He was told there was no one there and he had to leave.
The man asked to use the bathroom on the second floor first but was refused and was escorted from the building.
A short time later, Romero said, the occupants of the second floor, back on the porch, saw a burgundy-colored car drive by. They recognized the man in the passenger seat as the man they had encountered earlier.
The car parked near the house, and gunfire erupted.
"The house was sprayed with bullets," Romero said. Eight or nine casings were later found.
One of the bullets went through a wall and grazed the collarbone of the sleeping 11-year-old. She was taken to Lawrence General Hospital, but the wound is considered minor.
Romero said a year-old boy was also sleeping on the first floor but was not injured.
So far no arrests have been made.
Brook Street is a block east of Union Street near Dr. Nina Scarito Park.
Threatening message found at Sanborn High
Sanborn Regional High School students were evacuated this morning after a threatening message was found on a wall at the school.Continued ...
Snow, sleet make for slick N.H. roads
Snow, sleet and slippery conditions delayed the commute in Southern New Hampshire this morning.Continued ...
Police seek ID of 1969 murder victim
The New Hampshire attorney general's office released photographs this afternoon that investigators hope will help identify a murdered man whose body was dumped off Interstate 93 in 1969.Continued ...
- Police: Man has life-threatening wounds after shooting
- NEW UPDATE: Lantigua won't concede defeat
- UPDATE: It's official -- Rivera is mayor-elect of Lawrence
- Friday, November 22, 2013
- UPDATE: Police say teen appears to have planned attack on teacher
- Note found with body of slain teacher
- Thursday, November 21, 2013
- Teen indicted in murder, rape of Danvers High teacher
- Haverhill rapper sought in murder captured in San Diego
- Wednesday, November 20, 2013
- Victim ID'ed in Salisbury murder case; 'person of interest' named
- Monday, November 18, 2013
- Salisbury probe linked to discovery of burnt body parts in Hyde Park, Bridgewater
- Wednesday, November 13, 2013
- Fatal accident on I-93; traffic routed through weigh station
- 4 women escape burning building in Haverhill
- Fire rips through Haverhill building, but no one inside, police say
- Monday, November 11, 2013
- Police seek attempted murder suspect
- Friday, November 8, 2013
- UPDATE: Boy, 16, arrested for theft of FBI rifles
- Judge keeps records sealed in case of slain teacher from Andover
- Thursday, November 7, 2013
- Rockingham Co. attorney, two others, suspended
- Wednesday, November 6, 2013
- Mayor-elect Rivera seeks to 'keep ballots safe'
- Monday, November 4, 2013
- Bomb threat closes Salem Kmart
- Thursday, October 31, 2013
- Send us your Red Sox celebration photos
- Friday, October 25, 2013
- Services announced for Colleen Ritzer
- Thursday, October 24, 2013
- Photo shows something green in Lester's glove
- Man held on $250K for attack on mother
- Salem police nab man who tried to kill mother
- Salem police seek man in attempted murder
- Wednesday, October 23, 2013
- Essex DA identifies Methuen shooting victim
- Andover woman, 24, a teacher at Danvers High School, victim of homicide
- Slain Danvers High teacher from Andover
- Threatening message found at Sanborn High