An Advent wreath. Traditionally, one candle is lit on each of the four Sundays before Christmas.
Column: Sandy not the global warming bombshell some claim
Heavy rains wiping out crops, the Baltic Sea freezing over, unusually powerful earthquakes triggering tsunamis, and the largest flood recorded in central Europe. Top it off with famine, plague and social unrest, and people began talking about the endContinued ...
Column: Hectic 'Holidays' drown quiet season of Advent
Terry Mattingly The first question was simple: "Siri, when is Christmas?" After the two-tone "BEED-EEP" chime, the voice of the Apple iPhone responded: "Christmas is on Tuesday, December 25, 2012. I hope I have the day off." Then matters got complicaContinued ...
A 'tough' kid's road from school yard to prison yard
Toward the end of my 24 years in jail--my wife's way of referencing my work at the Billerica House of Correction (BHC) -- Tommy approached me in the prison yard. Recently, news of his passing prodded old memories and, following this thread, I found mContinued ...
- Column: Rupert Murdoch, Big Brother and press freedom
- If it's not a recession, then what is it?
- Friday, December 7, 2012
- Column: Islamology 101 — few in U.S. would pass course
- Wednesday, December 5, 2012
- Letter: Administration eyes your retirement fund to avert 'fiscal cliff'
- Monday, December 3, 2012
- Column: Why I'm rooting for Fighting Irish
- Saturday, November 17, 2012
- Column: Oliver Stone whitewashes Stalin's brutality
- Column: There’s hope yet for Republicans if they make the right moves
- Column: U.S. should consider following the Swedish path
- Column: Give Obama what he asks for on taxing ‘millionaires’
- Friday, November 16, 2012
- Column: We are suffering a national crisis of character
- Thursday, November 15, 2012
- Column: Obama website provides showcase for angry citizens
- Wednesday, November 14, 2012
- Column: Congress has chance to end year on high note
- Monday, November 12, 2012
- Column: Bring statesmanship back to government
- Sunday, November 11, 2012
- Column: Expect more fights over speech
- Column: Spirit of compromise is there somewhere
- Saturday, November 10, 2012
- Column: Best way to honor veterans is to remember what they did
- Column: Time for bewildered Republicans to reassess their strategy
- Column: Election changes much, but little for the better
- Column: Resistance is the answer to Democrats’ statist agenda
- Friday, November 9, 2012
- Column: World is watching to see if Washington can function
- Thursday, November 8, 2012
- Column: Bipartisan spirit may last as much as a week
- Tuesday, November 6, 2012
- Column: America’s founding ideas make our nation exceptional
- Sunday, November 4, 2012
- Column: On Jersey Shore, an episode of bipartisanship
- Column: Scary sights haunt us from Halloween to the election
- Column: A look at finer details shows Tuesday could be a good day for Obama
- Column: Left laments negative advertising, then launches personal attacks
- Column: When voting, remember our heritage of independence
- Column: Sandy not the global warming bombshell some claim