It's that time of year, when Christmas songs fill shops, restaurants and your home. While anything on repeat can drive you mad, these 12 tunes are some of the most annoying.
1. Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer
I really want to know who thought this song was a good idea. A member of the family dying via reindeer doesn't exactly scream Christmas cheer. In any normal situation, someone getting killed by an animal would seem morbid, let alone during a season for familial togetherness.
2. Santa Baby
There's nothing like turning an innocent concept of asking Santa for presents into something dirty. Wouldn't any self-respecting woman hate herself for tempting sweet old Santa to get what she wants? And sure, we'd all like some nice things for Christmas, but who asks for a platinum mine?
3. Last Christmas
This song is catchy, but when you think about it, it's also pretty pathetic. The singer got dumped after one day and still isn't over the breakup a year later? And, aside from a few references to Christmas, this song really has nothing to do with the holiday.
4. Feliz Navidad
Yes, this is a Christmas classic, but it qualifies as annoying thanks to its insanely repetitive nature. When we're listening to the same songs over and over, the last thing we want to hear are the same lines over and over. And over.
5. I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas
Just, why? I get that kids can be demanding around this time of year, but who honestly wants a hippo? There's nothing worse than the sound of a whiny-voiced kid eking out of my radio.
6. The Christmas Shoes
Okay, I lied. There is something worse: depressing Christmas songs. I hate when, in the midst of Christmas cheer and happy tunes, a song like this comes on.
7. Baby It's Cold Outside
Where to begin with this song? Two people have this back and forth conversation in rhyme (ick!), but neither one really listens to the other. All the guy cares about is his agenda and all the girl cares about is what other people are going to think of her. And all they can agree on is that, hey, it's cold out!
8. Drummer Boy
The Little Drummer Boy is kind of annoying all on its own with its constant rum pum pum-ing, but now there's this: the Justin Bieber version. There's nothing quite like ruining a classic by turning it into a pop remix.
9. My Grown-Up Christmas List
Hello, holiday depression, how nice of you to stop by again. Here we have another classic example of a Debbie-downer tune that makes you want to poke your eye with a pencil.
10. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
Really, you can't tell that under all that red, your dad is parading around as Santa? And let's think about it for a minute, why would your mom be kissing Santa of all people? Okay, I get kids can't reason like adults, but that aside, this song gets tiresome after one listen.
11. All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth
This song has absolutely no basis in reality. There is not a kid in America who only wants teeth for Christmas. No. Way. And why is it so important to say "Sister Susie sitting on a thistle"? It's just about the last sentence anyone would ever need to say. So let's focus on the positive and re-check that Christmas list.
12. Jingle Bells / Jingle Dogs
Jingle Bells is undoubtedly a Christmas classic, so why change it? Especially when the change involves dispensing of the lyrics in favor of one word repeated over and over, "bark." However, as this video shows, someone liked it enough to sync it up with their outdoor light display.
VIDEO: Oklahoma high-speed chase ends in crash
Authorities in Oklahoma City, Okla. say a man who stole a pick-up truck led police on a high-speed chase reaching nearly 120 miles per hour before crashing into a mini-van and two other vehicles.Continued ...
Spring Madness: 3 apps to help manage your schedule
Spring is imminent, and as you welcome the warmer weather, it's time to start thinking about home maintenance, school events and everything else you put off during the winter. These three apps will help you manage your schedule, no matter your organization style.Continued ...
Electric-grid attack fuels sniper-versus-hacker threat debate
U.S. energy regulators' efforts to harden the power grid against snipers and terrorists are fueling a debate over whether they're diverting resources from other threats, like cyber attacks.Continued ...
- How local sports could change all of television
- Lean Cuisine sales drop as consumers shun freezer
- Both genders think women are bad at basic math
- Who belongs in the delivery room?
- Americans in poll don't believe Christie or Clinton
- VIDEO: Two dead at SXSW after car hits crowd
- VIDEO: Wild car chase in Denver
- Wednesday, March 12, 2014
- Missing Malaysian jetliner confuses a world that's online 24/7
- Which foods are the worst for the environment?
- Old Spice attracting women in gender-bending win for P&G
- VIDEO: Aftermath of NYC building collapse
- VIDEO: Double leads to runaway stroller at spring training game
- Tuesday, March 11, 2014
- If you were a crustacean, would you feel pain?
- How virus sleuths and public health officials track the cause of a mysterious illness
- First Apple, now Google hit with kids' app lawsuit
- VIDEO: First month of Colorado pot legalization brought in $2M in tax revenue
- VIDEO: NHL game postponed after player collapses
- VIDEO: Family rescued from ferocious feline
- Monday, March 10, 2014
- In this tech age, how can a plane go missing?
- VIDEO: Skydiver, pilot treated after midair collision
- Researchers tackle mystery of how some snakes can fly
- Holder: Heroin deaths an 'urgent and growing public health crisis'
- Friday, March 7, 2014
- Most deadly fraternity scraps initiation for new members
- VIDEO: Michigan woman's death, mummified body hidden by auto-pay for six years
- VIDEO: Chrysler orders community college to crush rare Dodge Viper
- VIDEO: Penguin sweaters save birds trapped in oil spills
- Thursday, March 6, 2014
- VIDEO: Kentucky AG holds back tears, announces he won't defend marriage ban
- VIDEO: Oklahoma high-speed chase ends in crash