Motorists across Alabama and Georgia spent Tuesday night and much of Wednesday huddled in their cars as a paralyzing mix of snow and ice coated roads and rendered the few snowplows and salt trucks ineffective.
'Traffic apocalypse' in the South
Treacherous conditions in Atlanta
In Atlanta, road conditions deteriorated to the point where commutes home stretched into their second day Wednesday. Some Atlanta-area students were still stuck on school buses up to 19 hours after leaving school Tuesday afternoon.
A traffic nightmare
Interstates in and around the Atlanta area became virtual auto graveyards as traffic ground to a halt. Tractor-trailers especially were a problem, requiring major equipment and coordination to move.
Giving up on getting home
During the night, many motorists gave up on the idea of trying to get home and sought shelter in restaurants, drugstores and other retail centers.
'It took a long time'
One Atlanta-area father walked six miles to his daughter's school to spend the night with her and about 100 of her schoolmates.
Most deadly fraternity scraps initiation for new members
Sigma Alpha Epsilon, one of the largest U.S. fraternities and the deadliest, said Friday it will ban the initiation of recruits, citing the toll that hazing has taken on its newest members.Continued ...
VIDEO: Michigan woman's death, mummified body hidden by auto-pay for six years
The mummified body of a Michigan woman was discovered in the backseat of her car approximately six years after her death. The body was only found after the bank that foreclosed on the home ordered work on the property.Continued ...
VIDEO: Chrysler orders community college to crush rare Dodge Viper
Students at a community college in Washington are fighting to save a rare Dodge Viper given to them by the Chrysler Corporation. The company now says it must be destroyed for legal reasons.Continued ...
- VIDEO: Penguin sweaters save birds trapped in oil spills
- VIDEO: Kentucky AG holds back tears, announces he won't defend marriage ban
- Staples to close 225 stores as online competition hurts sales
- 2 in Indiana sickened after eating contaminated Skittles
- VIDEO: A panoramic view from atop One World Trade Center
- 5 memorable college hoops tourney buzzer beaters
- What you need to know about subtle office bullying
- Wednesday, March 5, 2014
- Lilly's diabetes drug rejected by FDA
- Target seeks new technology head after data breach
- Facebook cracking down on illegal gun sales planned on site
- Avenger an American value
- VIDEO: Mother, children rescued from van in ocean
- Frigid U.S. weather means highest power prices since '08
- Tuesday, March 4, 2014
- VIDEO: Will the NFL move the extra point to 42 yards?
- Study says too much protein could lead to early death
- Do flu shots cause runny noses?
- VIDEO: New Jersey teen sues parents for tuition
- Winter stifles pollen, but other pests can make allergies worse now
- VIDEO: New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast unveiled
- Monday, March 3, 2014
- VIDEO: Museum removes Corvettes from sinkhole
- VIDEO: Apple iPhone to become more car-friendly
- Polar vortex may prove to be a powerful pesticide
- VIDEO: Best moments from the 2014 Oscars
- Friday, February 28, 2014
- The glitz, the glamour and the movies: 3 apps for Oscar weekend
- Five things you should know about the Netflix-Comcast deal
- VIDEO: A look inside a Cuban cigar factory
- Thursday, February 27, 2014
- VIDEO: NASA discovers 'mother lode' of alien planets
- Most deadly fraternity scraps initiation for new members