While we normally share mobile apps, this week's "special edition" piece includes three desktop apps to save your distracted self from social media scrolling, constant email checking and general lack of focus.
SelfControl for Mac
If you lack self-control and find yourself wasting hours scrolling through social media, you can always download it. SelfControl, the Mac app, allows the user to build a personal blacklist of websites and will block them for a specified amount of time, up to 24 hours.
Self Control can be downloaded for free. (PC users can download a similar app, Freedom.)
Cold Turkey for Windows
Cold Turkey goes one step beyond blocking websites and lets users schedule a day's worth of blocks for websites or programs. Allow Facebook only during your lunch break or block out a few hours when you won't check email.
It can be downloaded for free.
While useful, RescueTime might tell you a few things you don't want to know. The program tracks your usage and will give you stats on which activities dominate your day. Think you spend too much time on Twitter? RescueTime can tell you.
RescueTime Lite is available for free for Mac, Windows and mobile systems.
America’s sleep-deprived cities
Americans might run on sleep, but those living in the country's largest cities don't appear to run on much.Continued ...
Who should pay for your kids ACT?
Thirteen states paid for 11th-grade students in all public high schools to take the ACT college admission test this year, with several more planning to join them in 2015.Continued ...
Why do people look like their pets?
As much as we might quibble over the virtues and vices of Canis domesticus, however, and over whether human nature is any better or worse than dog nature, even dog fanciers don't usually want to look like a dog.Continued ...
- Ice bucket challenge trending up
- Africa goes medieval in its fight against Ebola
- Democrat? Republican? There's an app for that
- Friday, August 15, 2014
- Five myths about presidential vacations
- Thursday, August 14, 2014
- Can 6 seconds launch a career? A generation of Vine stars sure hopes so.
- 8 crucial tips for college freshmen
- A night in Ferguson
- Wednesday, August 13, 2014
- The scales of injustice: Weight loss differs between men, women
- Williams among many who cracked jokes while fighting depression
- Drug dealers going corporate
- Tuesday, August 12, 2014
- Why the Ferguson police-shooting riots had little to do with Ferguson
- VIDEO: Stars react to Robin Williams' death
- Most Republican House districts are majority-white
- Monday, August 11, 2014
- Job market tilting toward workers
- The benefit of World War I omission on the Washington Mall
- In Japan, ramen aficionados worry their favorite dish is coming off the boil
- Friday, August 8, 2014
- Mother, grandparents face attempted murder charges in starvation case
- Welcome to Wal-Mart, the doctor will see you now
- Tobacco foes urge oversight of luxury cigars in e-cigarette rule
- How rural poverty is changing: Your fate is increasingly tied to your town
- Thursday, August 7, 2014
- Tattletales turn to Twitter to shame water wasters
- The joy of being a single male
- Break the college cartel
- Wednesday, August 6, 2014
- Your brain helps you judge a face before you even see it
- For some, pregnancy is heavy-duty work
- VIDEO: Katy Perry song soothes fussy baby
- Tuesday, August 5, 2014
- 'Baconholics' undeterred by 30-year high pork prices
- America’s sleep-deprived cities