EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Community News Network

March 6, 2014

2 in Indiana sickened after eating contaminated Skittles

Health officials say packages of Original Skittles sold at a convenience store in Richmond, Ind., were contaminated, and two people who ate from a package were hospitalized with symptoms including burning throats, cramping and diarrhea.

According to a news release from the Indiana State Department of Health, the packages contained “unconfirmed chemical substances.” Indianapolis TV station WISH-TV reported a spokesperson said it was unknown if the candy had been tampered with, but laboratory tests, the results of which are due in a few days, should provide more information.

Officials from the Indiana State Police, the Indiana Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration have also joined the investigation, according Cincinnati TV station WLWT.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Latest News
Community News Network

NDN Video
US Trying to Verify Video of American's Killing FBI Director Addresses Ferguson Shooting in Utah Raw: Police at Scene of St. Louis Shooting Police: 2 Calif. Boys Planned School Shooting NOLA Police Chief Retires Amid Violent Crimes Lunch Bus Delivers Meals to Kids Out of School Water Bottles Recalled for Safety Researcher Testing On-Field Concussion Scanners Rockets Fired From Gaza, in Breach of Ceasefire Raw: Japanese Military Live Fire Exercise Police, Protesters Clash in Ferguson Independent Autopsy Reveals Michael Brown Wounds Nashville Embraces Motley Crue Obama: 'Time to Listen, Not Just Shout' Lawyer: Gov. Perry Indictment a 'Nasty Attack' Raw: Russian Aid Convoy Crosses Into Ukraine Iowa Man Builds Statue of a Golfer Out of Balls Assange Gets Cryptic About Leaving Embassy in UK Raw: Building Collapse in South Africa, 9 Dead Raw: Pope Francis Meets 'Comfort Women'
Photos of the Week