EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Haverhill

December 21, 2013

Good Samaritan alerts family to house fire

House, most possessions destroyed in blaze spread from burning car

(Continued)

Good said everyone got out safely, as did her two dogs, one of whom is disabled and had to be carried out. She said her mother lost a pair of hearing aids, and she lost a 32-inch flat screen television her boyfriend gave her for her birthday in October. She said she also lost four “happy” goldfish while her son Andrew lost several tropical fish.

Also lost was a cradle, one of Robyn Good’s few reminders of her first child, Robie, who died at seven months of age of SIDS, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

“It’s all gone, but everyone is safe and that’s the important thing,” she said.

She said her father was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation, and that he was subsequently released and was doing fine.

Deputy Brown said the fire was reported at 7:06 a.m. and was the result of a mini-van that somehow caught on fire and was parked under a car port at the right side of the home. Lancaster Street is narrow street that connects Hale Street and Primrose Street, and is just a few blocks north of Winter Street.

National Grid had to shut off the power to the home, which also affected a neighbor’s home.

Anastasia Gotsis was standing in the street yesterday morning along with her neighbors who’d been burned out of their home. Gotsis said that for her own safety, firefighters had asked her to evacuate her home while they were battling the blaze next door. She said they had to shut off the power to her home as well. She worried about the Greek spinach pies she’d baked and frozen the night before.

“I was supposed to bake this morning too, but that’s OK just as long as my neighbors are safe,” Gotsis said. “They are the best neighbors I’ve ever had in my life. The man clears my driveway of snow and even helps clear the street.”

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Haverhill

Photos of the Week
New England News