EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA


February 5, 2014

Hearing postponed for man charged with indecent assault on boy

HAVERHILL — A New Hampshire man who police charged with indecent assault and battery on a person age 14 or older saw his case continued yesterday.

Kevin Gaudette, 54, of Nashua, did not appear in Haverhill District Court for a scheduled dangerousness hearing by agreement with his lawyer and the prosecutor. He continues to be held without bail in the Middleton House of Correction.

Gaudette was arraigned Jan. 28 after police charged him with stalking a 14-year-old boy at the public library. At his arraignment last week, he was ordered held without bail pending yesterday’s scheduled hearing, where it was to be decided if he should continue to be held without bail as a danger to society or be released. That hearing was postponed to Feb. 21.

Police said that on Dec. 31, Gaudette followed a 14-year-old boy around at the library and, at one point, invited the boy into his car. There, he made several attempts to touch the boy’s leg, but the boy moved away, police said. The man then grabbed the boy’s genital area, police said. They said the boy was afraid the man would drive away with him, so he politely told him he was going back into the library and then got out of the man’s car.

The boy told police that he returned to the teen section of the library and told a friend about his encounter with Gaudette. The boy told police that Gaudette showed up again, sat down and continued to stare at him. After a while, the boy walked up to a library worker to tell him what was happening.

The boy told police that his actions may have spooked Gaudette into leaving.

The boy provided Haverhill police Detective Meaghan Buckley with a description of the man, including his first name. Buckley contacted detectives in Nashua, who were able to identify Gaudette. Nashua police said they were familiar with Gaudette and that they have had dealings with him in the past, according to the police report.

Buckley applied for and was granted a warrant for Gaudette’s arrest. On Jan. 10, Nashua police arrested him on a fugitive from justice warrant. Gaudette initially refused to waive extradition, but on Jan. 27 he relented and was transported from New Hampshire to Haverhill, where he was booked at the Haverhill police station on the assault charge.

Text Only | Photo Reprints

Photos of the Week
New England News