EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

June 4, 2013

Police investigating how 2-year-old died

Father checked on napping toddler; found her unresponsive

By Mike LaBella

---- — HAVERHILL — Investigators refuse to identify the 2-year-old girl who died unexpectedly Sunday, but said there will be an autopsy to determine the cause of her death.

Carrie Kimball-Monahan, spokeswoman for the Essex District Attorney’s office, would not say why her office refuses to identify the girl or her family. Police typically release the identities of people who die, whether they lost their lives in an accident or some other way.

Haverhill police refused to identify and girl or discuss the case, saying all information must come from the district attorney’s office.

Kimball-Monahan issued a press release yesterday giving basic information about the case.

“The goal of the investigation is to determine the facts and circumstances of the fatality and ultimately decide whether criminal charges are warranted,” the release read, in part.

Kimball-Monahan said that on Sunday afternoon, shortly after putting the girl down for a nap, her father found her unresponsive in her bed. EMTs responded to a 911 call and took the girl to Merrimack Valley Hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 2:30 p.m.

Neighbors said the girl was visiting her father at his 8 Dexter St. home, a three-story building where other families also live. One neighbor said she saw EMTs rushing out of the home carrying the girl.

According to a Haverhill Police report, at 2:02 p.m. on Sunday, emergency medical personnel responded to 8 Dexter St. on a report of a medical situation.

Yesterday, a neighbor said the girl’s father owns the building at 8 Dexter St. and lives on the second floor. The neighbor said he heard the father had taken the girl to a local farm earlier on Sunday.

City assessor records list the owner of the building at 8 Dexter St. as Ramsey Santana.

Yesterday, an Eagle-Tribune reporter spoke to several residents of the building who said Santana was not there and unavailable to speak. They said they would not answer any questions about Sunday’s incident and asked the reporter to leave the property.

When asked to confirm if 8 Dexter St. was the address emergency personnel went to on Sunday, Kimball-Monahan said she had no comment and that no other information would be released until the autopsy report is complete.

Kimball-Monahan said an autopsy can take months to complete. Toxicology reports that determine whether there was something unusual in the victim’s blood usually take weeks to complete.

Theresa Brown, who lives next door to 8 Dexter St., said she was inside her home on Sunday afternoon when she heard a siren, looked out her window and saw two EMTs rushing from the 8 Dexter St. home and toward a waiting ambulance.

“One of them had a child in his arms and she appeared to be limp,” Brown said. “The EMTs were running towards the ambulance with the girl.”

Brown said she did not know the girl or her father.

Massachusetts State Police detectives assigned to the Essex District Attorney’s Office and Haverhill Police are investigating.