EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA


March 21, 2014

Police: 19-year-old gang member owned stun gun

No bail for fourth man arrested in gun assault

HAVERHILL — The violent history of one of the four men accused of trying unsuccessfully to shoot a person in the Mount Washington neighborhood was brought to light yesterday in Haverhill District Court.

Police said Devaughn Johnson, 19, of 20 Grove St., Haverhill, was on the run until he was arrested at 5:02 p.m. Wednesday on charges linked to the March 7 gun incident.

Johnson was ordered held without bail yesterday until his next hearing. He is charged with armed assault with intent to murder.

Police reports on file at the court say Johnson has ties to a violent street gang. He also owned an electrical stun gun, the reports say

Johnson was arrested just over a year ago and charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

In that incident, a police report shows that on Feb. 16, 2013, Johnson was walking on Hancock Street with four other men and two females. They came across a young man who was walking home from a party when they attacked him and started to beat him, according to the report. The victim was punched in the face and fell down to the ground, where he was repeatedly kicked, the report said.

The victim told police he heard one of the females yell, “Stop, you’re going to kill him. Just stop.” He said one of the men used a stun gun on the back of his neck and then the group ran off. He said could not see who used the gun because his arms were covering his face to protect himself. He told police he did not know Johnson or the others involved and had no idea why they would attack him.

Police said they discovered Johnson owned an electrical stun gun after they charged him with being involved a fight Feb. 28, 2013. Through a series of photos, the victim of the Hancock Street incident identified Johnson as one of the men involved in his assault.

Text Only | Photo Reprints

Photos of the Week
New England News