HAVERHILL — A New Hampshire man has been charged with fleeing the scene of a hit-and-run accident that injured a 13-year-old girl while she was walking to her bus stop.
Police Deputy Chief Donald Thompson said he would not identify the 64-year-old man because he was not arrested and has not yet been arraigned in court.
Thompson said police filed charges in Haverhill District Court last week against the man, charging him with leaving the scene of an accident that caused bodily injury.
The man will be summonsed to court, meaning he is not arrested but instead is notified of the charges and ordered to show up at court on his own.
The summons also means that by law, police do not have to release the man’s name. If he were arrested, police would be required to release his name.
Thompson also declined to say how police connected the suspect to the March 12 accident.
The girl did not suffer any broken bones, but was reportedly unconscious and bleeding from her head at the scene. She was taken to Lawrence General Hospital for treatment.
Yesterday, School Superintendent James Scully said the girl returned to Nettle Middle School this week after missing a few days while recovering from her injuries.
The incident happened about 8 a.m. on Summer Street at the intersection of Stage Street, near City Hall, police said. Police said the girl was in the road and walking to her bus stop when she was hit by the vehicle.