The farm dates back to 1757 when the farmhouse was built by the Haseltine family. The farm was owned and operated by the Tattersall family for most of the 20th century until the last surviving family member, Mary Alice Tattersall, died in 1999.
Mary Alice and two of her sisters, Harriett and Helen, were longtime public school teachers in Haverhill and Methuen. They were known for inviting residents to the farm for tea, according to the property’s history.
Upon her death, Mary Alice Tattersall’s estate donated the property to the city with several restrictions to its use, including that the farm be preserved and maintained as closely as possible to its historical appearance and condition.
The sprawling site currently features 19th century plantings, working hay fields, rolling meadows and wooded paths used for walking, jogging and cross-country skiing, according to the farm’s website.
The property, which is open to the public, is managed by the Tattersall Farm Charitable Trust.
The trust is primarily responsible for protecting wildlife on the property and educating visitors on farming and environmental conservation.
The trustees have hosted an annual farm day in the fall for the past six years. Past events have focused on teaching visitors about New England farm life and its cultural and historical influence on the city.
The most recent event featured animal and farming demonstrations, storytelling, art and crafts, pony and hay rides, hot air balloon rides and antique tractor displays.
Tattersall Farm improvements Playground with splash park Community or public gardens Outdoor running area Expanded trails More parking