EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA


July 6, 2013

Drunken boater nearly collides with police boat

HAVERHILL — Police say a man who was drunk and driving a boat on the Merrimack River nearly collided with their patrol boat while it was towing a boat that had broken down.

And when they asked him to stop and wait for them to return from dropping off the disabled boat at a nearby marina, the boater allegedly took off and a chase ensued.

When police caught up with the craft, the driver nearly struck the patrol boat again, then began yelling and swearing at the officer, police said. Police arrested Robert King, 32, of 57 Woodrow Ave., and charged him with operating under the influence while boating.

Police said the incident happened on Wednesday evening at about 11:10 p.m., a little over an hour after the conclusion of the city’s fireworks display in Riverside Park.

Detective Carl Rogers wrote in his report that he and Harbormaster Michael Vets were patrolling the river that night monitoring heavy boating traffic to ensure safe boating and curtail the use of alcohol. He estimated there were 300 boats anchored in the area of the Bates Bridge at the time in preparation for the fireworks.

After receiving a radio call for a boat that lost power and was adrift and heading towards the bridge, the patrol boat came upon the adrift pontoon boat and began towing it to a dock. With the pontoon boat in tow, Rogers noticed another boat was heading west towards his patrol boat, forcing the police boat to cut hard right to avoid a collision. He said it caused the pontoon boat to break free from the patrol and become adrift once again.

The operator of the other boat, a Sea Ray bow rider, was wearing an orange flowered shirt and was later identified as King. Two male passengers were on King’s boat. Rogers said King was towing a boat and to avoid hitting his patrol boat King put his bow rider into reverse, nearly colliding with the boat he was towing.

Text Only | Photo Reprints

Photos of the Week
New England News