EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA


November 26, 2013

City cracks down on club

Owner faces illegal weapon charge, boyfriend sought for assault

HAVERHILL — A couple with a teenage son said drunk and rowdy people coming and going from The Hideout club on Emerson Street keep them awake into the early-morning hours by yelling, swearing and fighting near their home, and often in their driveway.

The family is about to get a respite.

The License Commission has stripped the private downtown club of its entertainment license and ordered that it must close no later than 9 p.m. until at least April 1.

The decision was made at a disciplinary hearing yesterday afternoon at City Hall. The hearing was the result of an incident early Friday morning in which a drunk and disorderly club member was allegedly beaten and shot with a stun gun outside the club by the owner’s boyfriend.

Police cited the owner and manager of the club, Tara Viola, with possession of an illegal electrical weapon inside the club and not following rules for how private clubs are required to maintain a guest book for non-members.

Police Captain Alan Ratte said police have also filed criminal charges against Viola for possession of a stun gun, which are illegal in Massachusetts.

Police have also obtained an arrest warrant for Viola’s boyfriend, Elias Iliopoulos, 36, for allegedly assaulting a woman who was trying to get into the club after closing time.

Police said Iliopoulos’ last know address is 45 Jefferson St., Lawrence — the same address Viola used on her alcohol license for the club.

According to police reports, officers were called to the club by Viola around 2 a.m. Friday. When they arrived, officers said two “heavily intoxicated” women came running up to their cruiser yelling wildly about being attacked by “people from The Hideout.”

Police said the female victim told them that she was thrown to the ground by a heavy-set man and shot with a stun gun several times. She had a bruise on her head and a cut on her nose, a police report said. She told police her attacker jumped into a motor vehicle and sped off. The other woman was taken into protective custody after she repeatedly yelled and slurred her speech, the police report said.

Text Only | Photo Reprints

Photos of the Week
New England News