EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

September 25, 2012

Four 'career criminals' charged in police chase

By Mike LaBella

---- — HAVERHILL — Three out of the four people who were arrested after leading police on a chase through three towns saw their bail revoked on open cases and were ordered held without bail.

The prosecutor said that if added together, the criminal records of the four would total more than 30 pages.

Steven Dearborn, 47, of 8 Lancaster St., Cambridge, was charged yesterday in Haverhill District Court with operating after suspension of his license, operating to endanger, reckless operation of a motor vehicle, failure to stop for police, resisting arrest, and receiving stolen property, a car.

“Dearborn has a 17-page record, one of the longest records we’re had here in a number of months,” DePaulo said in arguing for a high bail amount. DePaulo said Dearborn’s record is “rife” with charges including breaking and entering, assault and battery, possession of drugs, robbery and more.

“It’s about as bad a record as you’ll ever see,” DePaulo said.

Sean O’Shea, 40, of 111 H St., South Boston, was charged with receiving stolen property and resisting arrest. The other two people in the car, John Johnson, 47, of 101 Highland Ave., Somerville, and Madeline Osborne, 51, of 7 Maine Ave., Apt. 2, Somerville, were both charged with receiving stolen property. Police said Dearborn was the driver, Osborne was in the front passenger seat while O’Shea and Johnson were in the back of a stolen Honda Accord.

Depaulo said Osborne’s criminal record goes on for a full six pages and that O’Shea’s is five pages long. He asked that they be held on $7,500 cash bail. DePaulo asked for a lesser bail amount of $5,000 for Johnson.

“His three pages look very good compared to the other three (defendants),” DePaulo said.

During yesterday’ hearing, O’Shea laughed while DePaulo read the charges against him, notably the charge of resisting arrest. Police said that when they tried to get O’Shea out of the back seat of the car he struggled so much they had to use a Taser as well as pepper spray on him.

“I’m glad the defendants are having a good laugh,” DePaulo exclaimed.

The lawyers for O’Shea’s co-defendants said their clients didn’t think it was funny.

“Mr. Dearborn is not laughing,” his attorney Christopher Holland said.

“He was not laughing in court, I’d like to make that clear,” Attorney April DerBoghosian said about her client, Johnson.

Police said the chase began early yesterday morning in West Newbury and continued through Groveland before the driver stopped near the Hadley West Apartment complex off Lowell Avenue at around 2 a.m.

According to a police report on file in Haverhill District Court, at about 1:28 a.m. Groveland police were notified by police in West Newbury of a car that had run a stop sign and was heading into Groveland on Route 113. The officer called in the license plate, but by the time information came back that the car had been stolen, the driver had taken off, police said.

Groveland Police Chief Robert Kirmelewicz said Officer Joshua Sindoni saw the car, identified as a Honda Accord, traveling on Main Street, and began pursuing it.

The chase continued over the Bates Bridge into Haverhill, where Sindoni was joined by Groveland Police Officer Heather Riley in a second cruiser. They pursued the car west on Groveland Street, through the downtown area, eventually passing the Haverhill police station on Bailey Boulevard. Police continued the chase on Essex Street, to Route 97, then onto Lowell Avenue. Police said that during the chase Dearborn drove dangerously, ran red lights and drove through stop signs, and at one point he was driving on the wrong side of the road and was swerving to avoid oncoming vehicles.

Eventually, the vehicle came to a stop in front of the Hadley West Apartments off Lowell Avenue, near Interstate 495 in Haverhill.

Police said Dearborn attempted to run from the scene but was tackled by Riley, who was assisted by a Haverhill police officer. Sindoni and State Police trooper drew their guns on the passengers remaining in the vehicle, police said.

O’Shea’s lawyer, Andrew Benson, said O’Shea and the others had been out drinking and that he was asleep in the back seat when police Tasered O’Shea, causing him to react.

“I was passed out,” O’Shea muttered while standing in the dock with his three co-defendants.

“So his story is he slept through a high-speed chase?” DePaulo exclaimed. “That’s a new one on me.”

Benson said the charge against O’Shea was “guilt by association” and asked that he be released on personal recognizance.

Osborne’s lawyer, Christian Colwell, said the only thing missing in the case against his client was “evidence.”

“She’s a passenger in a motor vehicle, there’s zero evidence that she committed any larceny and there were no damages to the vehicle,” Colwell said.

DerBoghosian asked that Johnson be released on personal recognizance saying there was no specific evidence against him, except that “he was in the back seat of the car.”

Holland asked that Dearborn be released on $5,000 cash bail, but Patricia Dowling ordered that he be held on $20,000 cash bail and revoked his bail on a open case Somerville District Court.

Dowling ordered O’Shea held on $7,500 cash bail and revoked his bail on an open case in Cambridge District Court. Osborne was held on $5,000 cash bail and her bail was revoked on an open case in Cambridge District Court. Johnson was ordered held on $5,000 cash bail. They must appear Oct. 23 in Haverhill for pretrial hearings.