PLAISTOW— A Plaistow man is in critical condition after suffering burns in an early-morning fire destroyed his home yesterday.
William Bartlett III, 29, was airlifted to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston with serious burns to his hands and feet.
When firefighters arrived at the home, they saw the two-story Cape-style home completely engulfed in flames.
“What’s lost is lost already,” fire Chief John McArdle said. “It was too involved. We weren’t going to put this fire out in the interior.”
About 30 firefighters from eight towns responded to a two-alarm fire at the home at 2:45 a.m yesterday. When they got to the home, Bartlett had just escaped the blaze by climbing out the window with his dog. A landing zone was soon set up at Pollard School to airlift Bartlett to Boston.
Bartlett was the only one in the home.
The dog was taken to Veterinary Emergency and Surgery Hospital in Brentwood with burns to its paws and nose. A nurse at the hospital said she could not release the condition of the dog without the owner’s permission.
Bartlett is the son of William Bartlett Jr., who owns Bill Bartlett and Son Landscaping. William Bartlett Jr. had just finished building a home next door and he and his wife moved in last winter.
Neighbors said the Bartlett family is very well known in the community.
“It’s a shame,” said Dick Latham of 10 Sweet Hill Road and a former fire chief in Plaistow. “I know them very well, they’re good people and it was a beautiful home.”
Leo LaCroix of 14 Sweet Hill Road said the Bartletts plow his driveway in the winter.
“You couldn’t ask for better neighbors,” said Leo LaCroix of 14 Sweet Hill Road. “It breaks my heart to see this happen to them.”