EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Latest News

February 13, 2014

Woman, dogs rescued from Plaistow fire

Fire caused by hot ashes

(Continued)

McArdle praised the woman for her quick thinking — calling for help and making sure the door was closed to prevent the flames and smoke from spreading.

If she had not been home, the house would have likely been destroyed, he said.

“If someone wasn’t there, we would be telling a different story,” McArdle said.

He said people need to take greater precautions when disposing hot ashes. Although the ashes were left in a metal bucket, the bucket should have been taken outside to prevent a fire from breaking out, he said.

This was the second serious fire caused by ashes in town since November, McArdle said. Ashes placed in a plastic bucket ignited a woodpile and heavily damaged a home on Old County Road, he said. The family escaped without injury.

Town assessment records show the Glendale Circle home is owned by Kyle Sawyer and is assessed at $170,100.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Latest News

AP Video
Arizona Prison Chief: Execution Wasn't Botched Calif. Police Investigate Peacock Shooting Death Raw: Protesters, Soldiers Clash in West Bank Police: Doctor Who Shot Gunman 'Saved Lives' 'Modern Family' Star on Gay Athletes Coming Out MN Twins Debut Beer Vending Machine DA: Pa. Doctor Fired Back at Hospital Gunman Raw: Iowa Police Dash Cam Shows Wild Chase Obama Seeks Limits on US Company Mergers Abroad Large Family to Share NJ Lottery Winnings U.S. Flights to Israel Resume After Ban Lifted Official: Air Algerie Flight 'probably Crashed' TSA Administrator on Politics and Flight Bans Raw: National Guard Helps Battle WA Wildfires Raw: Ukraine's Donetsk Residents Flee Senators Push to End Hamas Threat in Cease-Fire A Young Victim's Premonition, Hug Before MH17 Raw: Deadly Storm Hits Virginia Campground Death Penalty Expert: 'This is a Turning Point' Raw: MH17 Victim's Bodies Arrive in Netherlands
Photos of the Week