EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Latest News

March 5, 2014

Driver badly hurt after chase leads to crash

ANDOVER — Two crashes, including one with serious injury, were responsible for tying up traffic on Interstate 93 through Andover yesterday afternoon.

A 67-year-old Malden man, the driver and only passenger in a red 2007 Mercury Milan, was injured after leading State Police on a high-speed chase up the highway’s northbound lane yesterday afternoon around 3:45.

State Police cruisers pursued the vehicle at 50 miles per hour at first, while responding to a call about an erratic driver. Then the car’s speed accelerated to 80 miles an hour, according to scanner reports.

One of the troopers in pursuit radioed back that “this guy’s going to kill somebody,” quickly prompting a “terminate pursuit” order from an officer in charge, scanner reports indicate.

“Terminated,” the officer giving chase radioed back. “He’s still going, guardrail to guardrail.”

Moments later, the car crashed into a guardrail along the northbound high-speed lane roughly a half mile north of exit 42, the highway’s Dascomb Road off-ramp in Andover, according to scanner reports.

Entrapment was reported as the car was tucked under the guardrail. As responders worked to remove the driver from the vehicle, it was communicated by scanner that the driver had a heart attack, according to scanner reports.

The condition of the driver, along with an explanation for what led to the chase, were not available from State Police last night. The cause of the erratic operation and subsequent crash remained under investigation by troopers from the Andover barracks.

Initially, a medical helicopter was called in, to land on the highway and fly the driver to an area hospital. However, the flight was redirected to Lawrence General Hospital after the driver was taken by ambulance to that facility, according to scanner reports.

The left two lanes of the highway near the crash scene were closed were closed for about 30 minutes, sending traffic to the right lane and breakdown lane, which was open for travel at the time, according to reports. Traffic slowed to a crawl in both directions, including the southbound lane on up to Lowell Street, exit 43, nearly a mile and a half away.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Latest News

AP Video
Death Penalty Expert: 'This is a Turning Point' House Committee at Odds Over Obama Lawsuit Raw: MH17 Victim's Bodies Arrive in Netherlands Raw: UN School Used As Shelter Hit by Tank Shell Raw: Gunmen Attack Iraqi Prison Convoy Plane Leaves Ukraine With More Crash Victims The Rock Brings Star Power to Premiere Raw: Families Travel to Taiwan Plane Crash Site Arizona Execution Takes Almost Two Hours Gen. Odierno Discusses Ukraine, NATO at Forum Gaza Fighting Rages Amid Cease-Fire Efforts Mint Gives JFK Coin a Face-lift Creative Makeovers for Ugly Cellphone Towers Ariz. Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution Began Crash Kills Teen Pilot Seeking World Record LeBron James Sends Apology Treat to Neighbors Raw: Funeral for Man Who Died in NYPD Custody Migrants Back in Honduras After US Deports Israeli American Reservist Torn Over Return
Photos of the Week