EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

December 22, 2013

Methuen fire displaces family of 3

By Sara Brown
sbrown@eagletribune.com

---- — METHUEN — A stove fire left a family of three temporarily homeless yesterday.

Around 1:30 p.m., a stove caught on fire in one of the units at a two-family home.

The Methuen Fire Department got to the scene at 176 Broadway quickly, and cleared the fire in 20 to 30 minutes, officials said.

The fire did extend into the walls before firefighters extinguished it. There were no injuries.

The Methuen Fire Department said the other unit remained fire-free, and that family would be able to return to their home last night. However, the family of three living in the unit where the fire started would not be able to get back into their home.

The American Red Cross assisted that family — two adults and a child — by giving them a temporary stay at a hotel and funds for food, according to American Red Cross Communications Manager Ashley Spudley.

Follow Sara Brown on Twitter @Sara_Brown_Trib. To comment on stories and see what others are saying, log on to eagletribune.com.