LAWRENCE — A pet owner is now facing felony animal cruelty charges for tying a 7-month-old cat by his neck to a radiator for a week.
The cat, Marte, was taken to the MSPCA-Nevins Farm where officials discovered that he had swallowed a string weeks earlier, causing severe internal injury. The cat owner’s identity is not being released at this time.
“This cat had clearly gone weeks with this string lodged in his body, creating untold damage to his insides,” Director Mike Keiley said. “The fact that he was tied by his neck only added to his misery.”
Animal control officers found Marte severely dehydrated, underweight and vomiting in the household.
He underwent extensive surgery at the MSPCA’s Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston two days after being removed from the home.
Dr. Andrew Goodman removed nearly half of Marte’s intestines. Doctors also re-routed Marte’s gall bladder so excess bile could continue to drain properly from his body. Marte is back at Nevins Farm after recovering at Angell for a day.
“Dr. Goodman had given the cat only a 30 percent chance of surviving the surgery but decided to move forward as Marte would have certainly died without it. Marte pulled through and now Mike Keiley, director at the MSPCA-Nevins Farm, is fostering him until we can find Marte a loving forever home,” Director of Public Relations Rob Halpin said.
Keiley said he is confident that Marte will be back to good health again.
“He’s definitely not out of the woods yet and we won’t know for at least a couple weeks whether he may need additional surgery,” said Keiley. “But we’re confident that he’s going to make it so much so that we’re looking for potential adopters to step forward. We want to give him a home in which he’ll know only safety, warmth and comfort for the rest of his life.”
Follow Sara Brown on Twitter @Sara_Brown_Trib. To comment on stories and see what others are saying, log on to eagletribune.com.