EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

February 6, 2014

Fire set at Sanborn Regional High


The Eagle-Tribune

---- — KINGSTON — Several Sanborn Regional High School students have been taken into custody after a small fire was set in a restroom at the school.

The fire in the second-floor men's room set off an alarm about 11 a.m., prompting an evacuation of approximately 750 students and the student's staff, principal Brian Stack said.

Although the fire was small and quickly extinguished, part of the building filled with smoke, he said.

Students were bused to the gymnasium at the former high school and dismissed at 1 p.m., Stack said.

Fire officials determined the fire was set, he said. At least four people were taken into custody and are being questioned, he said.

Stack said that as of 1:45 p.m., it had not been decided whether there would be school tomorrow because of the intense odor of smoke.

The state fire marshal was called in to investigate, he said.