EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Latest News

March 6, 2014

Derry teen credited with saving family home

DERRY — A 16-year-old boy is credited with saving his family's home from fire yesterday afternoon.

Nathaniel Mejia was napping upstairs at home at 8 Belmont Terrace when he was woken up by smoke detectors sounding, according to Derry fire Battalion Chief Jack Webb.

The teen ran downstairs and found the kitchen full of smoke, the stove, cabinets and stove hood in flames, Webb said.

Nathaniel grabbed a fire extinguisher, put out the fire, opened windows and got the family's three dogs out of the house.

His mother returned home shortly thereafter, returning from picking up other children from school.

Derry firefighters extinguished the remaining hot spots and determined the fire originated in the stove hood fan, Webb said.

He stressed the importance of having working smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.

Webb applauded Nathaniel for his quick action and his parents, Edwin and Carmen Mejia, for providing working smoke detectors and an extinguisher.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Latest News

AP Video
Courts Conflicted Over Healthcare Law Holder Urges Bipartisanship on Immigration Raw: Truck, Train Crash Leads to Fireball US Airlines Cancel Israel Flights Obama Signs Workforce Training Law Crash Victims' Remains Reach Ukraine-held City Diplomatic Push Intensifies to End War in Gaza Obama Offers Condolences at Dutch Embassy Cat Fans Lap Up Feline Film Festival Raw: Lawmakers Scuffle in Ukraine's Parliament The Rock Finds His Inner 'Hercules' Michigan Plant's Goal: Flower and Die Raw: MH17 Passenger Remains in Kharkiv, Ukraine Raw: Israel Hits Gaza Targets, Destroys Mosques Veteran Creates Job During High Unemployment New Orleans Plans to Recycle Cigarette Butts
Photos of the Week