PLAISTOW — The planning of a condominium complex has been put on hold after it was improperly approved by the town.
The 34-unit, 55 and over, housing complex off Hillcrest Avenue was approved in 2011 by the Planning Board. But last month, the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services alerted the town that the plan still needed its approval.
“They should have gotten that before they got through the process,” said Dick de Seve, compliance supervisor for NHDES. “It was relatively far along, but I looked into it and realized they didn’t have our approval.”
Town Manager Sean Fitzgerald said despite the snag, he still expects the 23-acre project to be completed.
“The developer assured me they would go forward,” Fitzgerald said. “They have recently received preliminary approval to meet the conditions and there is every indication this will be complete.”
Last week, the Planning Board voted to send a letter of deficiency to Steve Dougherty, the developer of the project. Dougherty will have 30 days to comply with the deficiencies, or the town will issue a cease and desist order for the plan. Dougherty must fulfill water system requirements and provide NHDES with an updated dredge and fill permit.
Dougherty could not be reached for comment.
No construction has started on any of the units, but they have begun to build a road.
Selectmen Daniel Poliquin and Michelle Curran made a motion at a meeting Monday to give Dougherty a cease and desist order immediately.
“I’m not really sure why they want to go down this route (with the letter of deficiency),” Poliquin said. “Too many times I’ve seen projects go forward with issues that aren’t rectified and then future buyers or owners and the town end up paying the price. I felt it was better to do a cease and desist and take care of things quicker rather than wait 30 days.”