EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Latest News

June 19, 2013

Bennington Street fire caused by overturned gas container

LAWRENCE — A gasoline container stored in the cellar and was accidentally knocked over caused Sunday’s fire at 19 Bennington St., officials said.

Lawrence Fire Chief Jack Bergeron said the blaze at the three-story house started in the cellar and caused smoke damage.

The source of ignition may have been the heating equipment and other utilities coming in contact with the gasoline, he said.

“It was a flash fire. It did quite a lot of damage,” Bergeron said. “Much of the wiring was burnt from the flash fire.”

A 10-year-old boy suffered non-threatening burns in the fire that left 12 people homeless.

Bergeron said the fire, which was reported at 5:30 p.m. on Father’s Day, does not seem suspicious.

“From the best that we can determine, it was not intentional,” he said.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Latest News

AP Video
Looming Demand Could Undercut Flight Safety Raw: 2 Shells Hit Fuel Tank at Gaza Power Plant Raw: Massive Explosions From Airstrikes in Gaza Giant Ketchup Bottle Water Tower Up for Sale Easier Nuclear Construction Promises Fall Short Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue Raw: Corruption Trial Begins for Former Va Gov. The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming UN Security Council Calls for Gaza Cease-fire Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating 13 Struck by Lightning on Calif. Beach Baseball Hall of Famers Inducted Israel, Hamas Trade Fire Despite Truce in Gaza Italy's Nibali Set to Win First Tour De France Raw: Shipwrecked Concordia Completes Last Voyage Raw: Sea Turtle Hatchlings Emerge From Nest Raw: Massive Dust Storm Covers Phoenix 12-hour Cease-fire in Gaza Fighting Begins Raw: Bolivian Dancers Attempt to Break Record Raw: Israel, Palestine Supporters Rally in US
Photos of the Week