SALEM, N.H. — Firefighters rolling through Salem Depot spotted black smoke coming from the Tuscan Kitchen restaurant last night.
Heat from a wood-fired grill into a hood system caused a fire in the ceiling and roof in the kitchen, said fire Capt. Tim Kenney.
The busy restaurant was evacuated at 6:15 p.m. and firefighters were on scene until approximately 8:30 p.m., Kenney said.
Firefighters were returning from McKinnon’s Market at 236 North Broadway, where there was a small fire in a coolant unit, when they spotted fire on the roof of Tuscan Kitchen at 67 Main St., he said.
Further investigation led crews to the area above the wood-fired grill, Kenney said.
Damage to the kitchen area was estimated at $25,000, he said.
No injuries were reported.
Salem firefighters were assisted by crews from Windham, Derry, Pelham and Methuen.
Follow staff reporter Jill Harmacinski on Twitter under the screenname EagleTribJill.