---- — LONDONDERRY — Garrett Grice, 17 months, has been identified as the victim of a fire at 17 Norwich Place yesterday afternoon.
The toddler died from smoke inhalation, according to a release just issued by State Fire Marshal J. William Degnan, Londonderry police Chief William Hart and Londonderry fire Chief Kevin MacCaffrie.
The state Medical Examiner's Office conducted an autopsy this morning.
The fire started accidentally, according to the release, after a child turned on the kitchen stove. Cooking oil ignited and the fire quickly spread, the release said.
The mother, unaware the stove had been turned on, left the mobile home with that child, leaving Garrett alone in his crib, sleeping.
Officials said the mother left for "several" minutes to see a relative who lives across the street in Whispering Pines Mobile Home Park.
The response from area firefighters was swift and strong, but the fire soon engulfed the mobile home and despite attempts by family, neighbors and firefighters, the toddler died as a result of smoke inhalation.