EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

July 23, 2013

Methuen man still critical after shooting

By Jill Harmacinski

---- — LAWRENCE — Police suspect drugs may be the motive in a Sunday night shooting that left a Methuen man critically wounded from gun shots to his chest and left thigh.

Danny Lamar Veras, 34, remained in critical condition yesterday at an undisclosed Boston hospital where he was airlifted to after Sunday’s 8:05 p.m. shooting at 20 Bennett St., police said.

Police also found Angel Miranda, 33, inside the 20 Bennett St. home suffering from a gunshot wound to his foot. His injury is not believed to be life-threatening.

Bennett Street is located off Water Street near Broadway.

Sunday night, police initially got a call about a man who was stabbed on Bennett Street. They arrived to find Veras bleeding from his chest and left thigh from gunshot wounds. The sidewalk was also covered in blood, Sgt. Michael Mangan wrote in his report.

Police followed “the blood trail” to the front porch at 20 Bennett St. The blood led officers to a common entry in a four-story tenement-style home.

The windows on the first floor were completely blacked out, Mangan wrote.

After investigating the blood trail, police determined that Veras or another victim “had been shot on the second floor and fled outside,” Mangan wrote.

Police knocked on apartment doors and announced their presence, but received no response from anyone.

Mangan noted the second floor door did not have a door handle. However, it did have two dead bolt locks and a large sign posted above the door that read “Warning Security Dog” with a silhouette of a dog on it, Mangan said.

Fearing more people, possibly shooting victims or an armed suspect, were inside, officers called for the department’s emergency response team to knock down the door.

At 9 p.m., the entry team arrived on scene and knocked down the door. In a first-floor bathroom, police found Ortiz who had been shot in the foot. Miranda was loaded into a Patriot Ambulance with help from police officers and taken to Lawrence General Hospital for treatment.

The shootings remain under investigation by Lawrence police and state police detectives. No arrests were made in connection with the incident yesterday.

Follow staff reporter Jill Harmacinski on Twitter under the screenname EagleTribJill.