LAWRENCE — A Cross Street man was cited Monday for assault and battery on an undercover officer when he refused to cooperate after being pulled over for driving recklessly, police said.
Mark Fichera, 42, of 130 Cross St., was charged with negligent operation of a motor vehicle, a passing violation, possession of alcohol from an open container and assault and battery on a police officer. The charges stemmed from an incident that occurred on South Union Street around 10 a.m.
Patrolman Alberto Inostroza said he was off-duty traveling on South Union Street near the Heritage Park building when he stopped to let a tractor-trailer pull out of the bagel bakery as a second truck pulled out of the loading area.
He said he looked in the rearview mirror and watched as a vehicle passed him and the trucks at a high rate of speed, forcing the trucks to slam on their brakes. The car then pulled into the Hess gas station at 500 South Union St. and parked.
Inostroza said he pulled up to the car, showed his police badge, and asked for the man’s driver’s license, at which point the man cursed at the officer.
Inostroza then got out of his car and ordered the man to remove the keys from the ignition and get out of the vehicle. After some delay, he complied, and was ordered to kneel down and cross his hands behind his back.
As Inostroza looked in the man’s car for a driver’s license, he noticed a 16-ounce can of Bud Ice. As he stepped out of the vehicle, Fichera had stood up and got in front of Inostroza. He then refused to get back on the ground and demanded that the officer return his keys and license. Fichera then grabbed Inostroza’s shoulder, and attempted to grab the officer’s cell phone and his car keys, the report said.
He then struck the officer on the arm and shoulder, attempting to prevent him from calling the station on his cell phone.
When backup arrived, Fichera was handcuffed and placed into custody.
The following items were recently taken from area police logs:
- Accident: Tow required, Bartlet Street, 8:20 a.m.
- Accident: Injury reported, Lowell Street, 8:31 a.m.
- Arrest: Robert Barberio, 38, of Manchester, N.H., red light violation, operating a motor vehicle while unlicensed, Beacon Street, 5:14 p.m.
Friday, April 5
- Arrest: Jeremias Dominguez, 23, 153 Beacon St., Lawrence, operating a motor vehicle with a revoked license, Old River Road, 8:02 a.m.
- Motorcycle theft: Ellsworth Road, 11;36 a.m.
Saturday, April 6
- Arrest: William Reardon, 17, 12 Barrington Drive, Andover, operating under the influence of liquor, operating to endanger, Walnut Avenue, 12:37 a.m.
- Theft: Glen Meadow Road, 1:25 a.m.
- Accident: Five cars involved, one car towed, injury reported, North Main Street, 10:47 a.m.
- Accident: Pedestrian hit by car, right foot injury, North Main Street, 12:20 p.m.
- Arrest: Nariel Raposo, 23, 35 Lineham St., Lawrence, one-way street violation, operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license, Barnard St. 7:15 p.m.
Sunday, April 7
- Arrest: Jeffrey Ruiz, 25, 45 Newton St., Lawrence, operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license, operating an uninspected motor vehicle, River Road, 11:03 a.m.
Monday, April 8
- Arrest: Anand Sridhar, 25, 75 Rattlesnake Hill Road, Andover, assault and battery on a household member, Rattlesnake Hill Road, 2:31 a.m.
- Vandalism: Lowell Street, 10:36 a.m.
- Vandalism: Salem Street, 12:15 p.m.
- Accident: Car versus motorcycle, minor injury reported, motorcycle towed, Haverhill Street, 3:08 p.m.
- Accident: Personal injury reported, one car towed, Greenwood Road, 4:20 p.m.
Monday, April 8
- Shots fired: 20 Knox St., 2:18 a.m.
- Breaking and entering: 48 Exeter St., 7:35 a.m.
- Larceny: 196 Boxford St., 7:37 a.m.
- Larceny: 105 Garden St., 8:44 a.m.
- Assault and battery: 2 Newbury St., 9:51 a.m.
- Breaking and entering: Daher Flooring, 183 Essex St., front window broken, 3 area rugs taken, valued at $300; 10:34 a.m.
- Larceny: 81 Wesley St., 1:15 p.m.
- Assault and battery: Arlington School, 150 Arlington St., 1:55 p.m.
- Larceny: Breen School, 114 Osgood St., 3:08 p.m.
- Breaking and entering: 46 Whitman St., 3rd floor, 3:15 p.m.
- Arrests: Steward Manuel Soriano, 19, 97 Newton St., #3, Lawrence, distribution of heroin; Jared Lemay, 29, 34 Washington Dr., Raymond, N.H., possession of heroin, no driver’s license in possession, South Broadway and Kenneth St., following investigation by street narcotics unit; 3:20 p.m.
- Larceny: 118 Marston St., 3:49 p.m.
- Arrest: Melvin Osmar Ramirez, 31, 83 Cross St., #1, Lawrence, unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, failure to stop for uniformed police, 203 Park St., 4:15 p.m.
- Assault and battery: Howard and Platt streets, 4:27 p.m.
- Arrest: Roger Roy, 17, 140 Oxford St., Lawrence, malicious damage to a motor vehicle, possession of alcohol by person under 21, 82 Bennington St., 4:36 p.m.
- Assault and battery: 34 Haverhill St., 5:50 p.m.
- Larceny: CVS, 266 Broadway, 8:30 p.m.
- Breaking and entering, motor vehicle: 58 Chester St., 11:53 p.m.
Monday, April 8
- Arrests: Keith George Lucas, 20, 185 Taft Road, Wilmington, possession of a class A substance; Stephen M. Silva, 22, 20 Wisser St., Wilmington, possession of a class A substance, possession of a class E substance; 127 Merrimack St., 10:50 a.m.
- Vandalism to motor vehicle: 17 Tenney St., 10:50 a.m.
- Crash with injury: Merrimack Street at the ramp for Interstate 495 northbound, 11:08 a.m.
Monday, April 8
- Arrest: Juan Ocasio, 41, of 82 Boxford St., apartment B, Lawrence, driving after license suspension, failure to display current inspection sticker, Massachusetts Avenue and Interstate 495, 11:36 a.m.
- Arrest: Paul Misencik, 29, of 33 East Platt St., Lawrence, driving after license suspension, failure to display current inspection sticker, Belmont and May streets, 1:10 p.m.
- People asking for money sent on their way: Outside Kohl’s Department Store, 360 Winthrop Ave., 5:14 p.m.