EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Latest News

March 11, 2013

Five children, two adults die in Kentucky fire

GRAY, Ky. — A young couple and five small children participating in a sleepover died of smoke inhalation Saturday night in a house fire in this southeast Kentucky Appalachian community, the second multiple death house fire in the region in two months.

Relatives of the woman victim, Nina Asher, 22, said she was three months pregnant by her boyfriend, Jesse Disney, 25, who also perished.

Three of Asher’s children -- boys 3 and 2 and a 10-month-old girl -- died in the fire, along with two of their friends, girls 3 and 2, who were spending the night in a sleepover.

William Gray, who said he was the father of Asher’s children, described them as “the best kids in the world.”

Ray Disney, uncle of Jesse Disney, called it “a terrible, terrible tragedy. They must have all been sleeping when the fire broke out.”

Investigators said a neighbor called 911 to report the fire at 9:57 p.m. They said the children were found in the living room that had been converted to a sleepover bedroom of the one-story, wood-and-brick frame home. The mother’s body was found inside a side door and the boyfriend’s body a few feet farther into the home, they said.

Officials said the fire appeared to have started in an empty back bedroom in a corner of the house but they did not know the cause nor did they suspect foul play. They said the carpet in the bedroom had been cleaned the day before.

Gino Cima, another uncle of Ray Disney, arrived on the scene as the fire was still raging. He said he pulled the body of Asher from just inside the side door. He also retrieved the body of his nephew. He said both were lifeless.

“Hey, there’s babies in there, there’s babies in there!” Cima screamed to firefighters, his wife, Laura, who also was at the scene, told the Associated Press.

It was the second family house fire tragedy to strike southeast Kentucky this year. On Jan. 9, about 80 miles away in Pike County, a father and four of his children died in an early morning blaze.

Officials said a space heater likely caused the fire.

 

 

 

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Latest News

AP Video
Joy Fills Streets of Cleveland As LeBron Returns Proposed Bill to Regulate NY Costumed Characters WH: LeBron's Move a 'Powerful Statement' Ana Ortiz on 'Devious Maids' Finale CDC Addresses Lab Safety Problems Texas Shooting Suspect Collapses in Court Death Toll Tops 100 As Israel Offense Continues LeBron James Says He's Returning to Cavaliers Man Flees Police in World Cup Scalping Scheme Robot Writes Jewish Torah Scroll Raw: Israel, Gaza Exchange Rocket Fire More Immigrants Detained Along Rio Grande World Cup Final Pits Argentina Against Germany Police: Prostitute Linked to 2nd Death Thousands Attend NYC Firefighter's Funeral Art of Haitian Machete Fighting Revived Raw: Australia Hosts Annual Beer Can Regatta Mass. Mayor: Families Lost Everything in Fire Fans Dying to Be Near Jazz Greats Robots Gearing Up for Their Own 'World Cup'
Photos of the Week