“Without a question, you’re thinking we’re also” a possible target, Carlesimo added.
More toughened measures are expected as security is calibrated for upcoming major events that draw big crowds, including the Kentucky Derby on May 4, and the Indianapolis 500 on May 26.
Indianapolis Motor Speedway spokesman Doug Boles said yesterday’s attack will be a part of future meetings to review what precautions should be taken at the auto race.
“I guess this will bring a new topic or dialogue to those discussions, to see if there’s anything more we need to do to prepare with respect to what’s happened in Boston,” Boles said. “And we will learn more about that over the next couple of days, as the folks in Boston do, and we will be prepared for that.”
At the Kentucky Derby, which pulls in crowds approaching 250,000 each year at Churchill Downs Racetrack, security was beefed up recently following the death of Osama bin Laden.
“We are always in close contact at this time of year with the dozens of federal, state and local law enforcement and public safety partners who work with us every year on safety and security concerns for our major events,” Churchill Downs spokesman John Asher wrote in an email. “We will be in close and frequent contact with them and rely heavily on their expertise, as we always do, in the hours and days to come.”
Abroad, British police reviewed security plans for Sunday’s London Marathon, the next major international 26.2-mile race. It drew about 37,500 runners last year.
The London Marathon’s chief executive, Nick Bitel, said race officials contacted the police to discuss security plans “as soon as we heard the news” about Boston. He expressed shock and sadness about the situation in Boston, saying “it is a very sad day for athletics and for our friends in marathon running.”