EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Latest News

April 20, 2013

'Thank God we got him'

After a 20-hour manhunt that shut down Boston, bombing suspect caught


The terror began Monday when two bombs went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. The twin blasts killed 8-year-old Martin Richard, Medford resident Krystle Campbell and Boston University student Lingzi Lu. Almost 200 people were wounded. Doctors have performed multiple amputations on victims, whose ages range from as young as 2 to as old as 78.

“Tonight, our family applauds the entire law enforcement community for a job well done, and trust that our justice system will now do its job,” said the family of 8-year-old Martin Richard.

The city came together in the days following, uniting under the mantra “Boston Strong,” donating $7 million dollars to the One Fund set up to help the victims, and praying with President Barack Obama and other officials during a heart-wrenching interfaith service held at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross, just yards from where the bombing took place.

The FBI then released photos of the two men accused of planting the pressure-cooker explosives that ripped through the crowd at the marathon finish line. Authorities dubbed Tamerlan Tsarnaev as Suspect No. 1, the one in sunglasses and a dark baseball cap in the surveillance-camera pictures, and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as Suspect No. 2, the one in a white baseball cap worn backward.

The FBI was swamped with tips after the release of the surveillance-camera photos — 300,000 per minute — but what role those played in the capture was unclear.

The search

At 10:30 p.m. Thursday, Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer Sean Collier, 26, of Somerville, was found fatally shot in his cruiser. He was rushed to Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The two suspects then carjacked a Mercedes SUV at gunpoint, reportedly identifying themselves to the car’s owner as the perpetrators of the marathon bombing. The car’s owner escaped half an hour later at a gas station and the SUV headed toward Watertown, about eight miles from downtown Boston. Police chased the suspects, even as they tossed several explosive devices at officers from their car.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Latest News

AP Video
US Trying to Verify Video of American's Killing FBI Director Addresses Ferguson Shooting in Utah Raw: Police at Scene of St. Louis Shooting Police: 2 Calif. Boys Planned School Shooting NOLA Police Chief Retires Amid Violent Crimes Lunch Bus Delivers Meals to Kids Out of School Water Bottles Recalled for Safety Researcher Testing On-Field Concussion Scanners Rockets Fired From Gaza, in Breach of Ceasefire Raw: Japanese Military Live Fire Exercise Police, Protesters Clash in Ferguson Independent Autopsy Reveals Michael Brown Wounds Nashville Embraces Motley Crue Obama: 'Time to Listen, Not Just Shout' Lawyer: Gov. Perry Indictment a 'Nasty Attack' Raw: Russian Aid Convoy Crosses Into Ukraine Iowa Man Builds Statue of a Golfer Out of Balls Assange Gets Cryptic About Leaving Embassy in UK Raw: Building Collapse in South Africa, 9 Dead Raw: Pope Francis Meets 'Comfort Women'
Photos of the Week