EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

May 13, 2013

Woman hit by pickup killed

Was walking home to Haverhill from her job at mall

By Mark E. Vogler

---- — SALEM, N.H. — Edith Hamilton had gotten nearly half-way home early yesterday – a little less than six miles away from the Haverhill shelter where she lived – before getting hit by a pickup truck shortly after midnight while walking on Main Street near the intersection of Hampstead Road.

Hamilton, 44, a resident of the Emmaus Shelter at 127 Howe St., was knocked unconscious and suffered internal injuries. An ambulance rushed her to Lawrence General Hospital. A medical helicopter transported her to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, where she died several hours later.

“She works in Salem at the mall (The Mall at Rockingham Park) and was walking home toward Haverhill,” Salem police Sgt. “This is a tragedy for both the driver and the victim,” Prescott said. Prescott said yesterday.

“(Hamilton) worked at Sears. Guys (at the police station) have seen her walking a few times,” he said.

Police identified the driver of the pickup truck as Richard Canales, 19, of Methuen. Lt. Joel P. Dolan noted in a press release that preliminary results of the investigation show “it does not appear as if that speed, alcohol or drugs were a factor in the cause.”

No citation or charges were issued as of last night.

Meanwhile, the investigation by the Salem Police Department Technical Accident Reconstruction Team (TAR) continues to determine the cause of the fatal accident. Police are requesting that any drivers who passed through the area and may have witnessed the accident to call police at 603-893-1911.

Canales was driving eastbound on Main Street when his 2002 Dodge Ram pick-up truck struck Hamilton, who was walking with the traffic on the side of the road just 350 feet west of the intersection where the Green Barn restaurant once stood.

“The driver (Canales) was the (emergency) 911 caller and was performing CPR when officers arrived,” Sgt. Prescott said.

“He had stopped at the scene and was assisting her,” he said.

Police would not say whether Hamilton was wearing light or dark-colored clothing. It was not clear whether the victim had walked the entire distance from the mall or gotten a ride part way.

A man who claimed to be a manager at the shelter declined to comment last night, citing confidentiality of residents.

If Hamilton were to walk from the mall to the shelter, the distance over the back roads would be close to 11 miles, according Mapquest calculations.

“This is a tragedy for both the driver and the victim,” Prescott said.

It took a long time for police to release Hamilton’s name because they had a difficult time in reaching relatives, most of them who live out of the New England regions, according to Prescott.