EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Latest News

August 1, 2013

Car catches fire on garage lift

DERRY — A car caught fire while it was being repaired inside a bay at the BP gas station near the rotary yesterday.

Fire Battalion Chief Michael Doyle said mechanics were welding an exhaust bracket under a gold Buick when they noticed flames inside the vehicle. Employees rushed to get a fire extinguisher and called 911 at 12:20 p.m.

It didn’t take long for the fire department to arrive at the gas station at 133 E. Broadway.

“It’s right next door to our station,” Doyle said.

Derry’s Central Station is at 131 E. Broadway.

By the time firefighters responded, the car was already smoldering. Firefighters were able to put the fire out minutes later.

Doyle said he didn’t know how the fire started, but said the car only had minor interior damage to the upholstery. No one was injured.

Traffic was not affected by the incident, but fire trucks blocked vehicles from the busy gas station for about an hour.

Doyle said three fire engines and an ambulance responded to the scene.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Latest News

AP Video
Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN Raw: Deadly Landslide Hits Indian Village Obama Chides House GOP for Pursuing Lawsuit New Bill Aims to Curb Sexual Assault on Campus Russia Counts Cost of New US, EU Sanctions 3Doodler Bring 3-D Printing to Your Hand Six PA Cops Indicted for Robbing Drug Dealers Britain Testing Driverless Cars on Roadways Raw: Thousands Flocking to German Crop Circle At Least 20 Chikungunya Cases in New Jersey Raw: Obama Eats Ribs in Kansas City In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast Raw: Otters Enjoy Water Slides at Japan Zoo NCAA Settles Head-injury Suit, Will Change Rules Raw: Amphibious Landing Practice in Hawaii Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA
Photos of the Week