EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Latest News

April 25, 2013

GOP wants detailsof benefits receivedby accused bombers

BOSTON — Republican leaders in the House and Senate yesterday asked the Patrick administration to compile detailed information on the type and amount of public assistance benefits paid to the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombings.

House Minority Leader Brad Jones of North Reading said he contacted the Executive Office of Health and Human Services to request that the administration delve deeper into the welfare assistance provided by Massachusetts to dead bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev and his family.

Jones also asked that the Department of Transitional Assistance verify whether all family members met eligibility requirements when applying for public benefits.

“The findings of the investigation are vitally important in assuring that taxpayer subsidized benefits are being acquired and used in an appropriate manner,” Jones said in a statement.

Senate Minority Leader Bruce Tarr of Gloucester joined with Jones, calling it “angering to see that those who perpetrated such a merciless and cowardly act of terrorism had been receiving state benefits funded by public dollars.”

Health and Human Services spokesman Alec Loftus confirmed that the families of bombing suspects Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev were recipients of public welfare assistance. Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who lived in Cambridge, and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who was a student at UMass-Dartmouth, received benefits through their parents when they were younger.

Loftus said that the Tsarnaevs’ parents were former recipients of transitional assistance benefits and that separately Tamerlan Tsarnaev and his family received benefits until 2012, “when the family became ineligible based on their income.” “The brothers were not receiving transitional assistance benefits at the time of the incident and have not received any transitional assistance benefits this year,” he said.

Rep. Jim Lyons, R-Andover and others planned to hold a press conference at the start of the House debate yesterday to highlight what they see as unnecessary and fraudulent spending by the Patrick administration. The press event in the State House was cancelled when no reporters showed up.

“The fact that our tax dollars are going to those that are vicious murderers I think it’s just horrific,” he said. “You think of the victims and the families and to know benefits are going to people like that it’s awful. It really points to the fact that we have to demand more from the Patrick administration.”

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Latest News

AP Video
Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN Raw: Deadly Landslide Hits Indian Village Obama Chides House GOP for Pursuing Lawsuit New Bill Aims to Curb Sexual Assault on Campus Russia Counts Cost of New US, EU Sanctions 3Doodler Bring 3-D Printing to Your Hand Six PA Cops Indicted for Robbing Drug Dealers Britain Testing Driverless Cars on Roadways Raw: Thousands Flocking to German Crop Circle At Least 20 Chikungunya Cases in New Jersey Raw: Obama Eats Ribs in Kansas City In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast Raw: Otters Enjoy Water Slides at Japan Zoo NCAA Settles Head-injury Suit, Will Change Rules Raw: Amphibious Landing Practice in Hawaii Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA
Photos of the Week