EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Latest News

January 28, 2014

Windham family escapes fire, but loses home

Windham home destroyed in blaze

WINDHAM — A Meetinghouse Road resident is just happy he and his family are safe after a fire tore through their home early yesterday.

The blaze broke out about 2 a.m., heavily damaging the two-and-a-half-story home at 2 Meetinghouse Road.

Nearly 20 firefighters from five fire departments battled the fire for about an hour before bringing it under control, Windham fire Chief Thomas McPherson said. Two firefighters received minor injuries, but have recovered, he said.

Although the walls are still standing, much of the inside of the home was gutted and personal possessions were destroyed, owner Steve Allan said.

“Everything is gone, nothing is salvageable,” Allan said. “I’m just content to be breathing and walking around.”

Allan, 60, said his wife, Heidi, smelled smoke and quickly got of bed. The couple ran downstairs to find the first floor engulfed in smoke.

“The smoke was so bad, we ran outside,” he said.

Once outside, they called 911 and firefighters arrived within minutes. Allan said the family, which includes his son and daughter-in-law, have lived in the home for 30 years.

“By the time firefighters arrived, there was some heavy fire,” McPherson said.

The fire is believed to have started in a wall behind the sunroom fireplace, Allan said. The sunroom is at the rear of the home. The house is assessed at $85,300, according to town records.

McPherson said yesterday afternoon the fire was under investigation and the cause still being determined.

The flames quickly spread from the first floor, which received heavy damage, to the second floor, McPherson said. The second floor sustained extensive heat and water damage, he said.

Although the blaze was under control by about 3:15 a.m., firefighters remained at the home until about 5 a.m., McPherson said.

A firefighter suffered heat exhaustion and required treatment, McPherson said. Another firefighter slipped on the ice, but didn’t require medical attention, he said.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Latest News

AP Video
Joy Fills Streets of Cleveland As LeBron Returns Proposed Bill to Regulate NY Costumed Characters WH: LeBron's Move a 'Powerful Statement' Ana Ortiz on 'Devious Maids' Finale CDC Addresses Lab Safety Problems Texas Shooting Suspect Collapses in Court Death Toll Tops 100 As Israel Offense Continues LeBron James Says He's Returning to Cavaliers Man Flees Police in World Cup Scalping Scheme Robot Writes Jewish Torah Scroll Raw: Israel, Gaza Exchange Rocket Fire More Immigrants Detained Along Rio Grande World Cup Final Pits Argentina Against Germany Police: Prostitute Linked to 2nd Death Thousands Attend NYC Firefighter's Funeral Art of Haitian Machete Fighting Revived Raw: Australia Hosts Annual Beer Can Regatta Mass. Mayor: Families Lost Everything in Fire Fans Dying to Be Near Jazz Greats Robots Gearing Up for Their Own 'World Cup'
Photos of the Week