EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

May 6, 2013

Two die in waters off Gloucester's Eastern Point

Staff Reports
The Eagle-Tribune

---- — Two people pulled by Gloucester Police from the waters off Eastern Point’s Gonzaga Retreat property early Sunday evening were later pronounced dead at Addison Gilbert Hospital, Police Chief Leonard Campanello confirmed last night.

With both police crews and the U.S. Coast Guard responding, emergency personnel pulled the pair aboard the Gloucester Police boat from the waters an estimated 40-45 minutes after a witness at the retreat house property first reported seeing a man and woman in the water off the rocks and calling for help.

The Gloucester police crew who found the pair began administering CPR measures and carrying out other life-saving measures both while on board the police boat, and at the Coast Guard Gloucester station at Harbor Loop, where the two victims were taken.

They were then transported by the Gloucester Fire Department’s Rescue Squad to Addison Gilbert Hospital, and emergency crews continued resuscitation efforts, but the man and woman were both pronounced dead just before 8 p.m.

Gloucester Police and the Coast Guard had initially responded to the Gonzaga Retreat House area after receiving a call at 5:10 p.m. that at least one witness there had seen a man and woman in trouble in the water.

Campanello told the Times that authorities did not have any description of the pair, beyond being a man and woman who “appeared to be in their 40s.”

He added Sunday night that, while authorities have not yet released identifications pending notification of next of kin, preliminary reports indicate that one of the victims is local, while the other is from out of state.

Campanello said it remained unclear how the pair may have fallen into the water, but he added that, while the air is clear and dry, seas off the shore were rough due to the winds of the last two days, and the currents were strong at the time.

The Coast Guard confirmed that the pair had not been aboard a boat; there was no sign of a vessel in the area.

In addition to the Gloucester Police and Fire departments and the Coast Guard, a crew from the Massachusetts State Police’s regional Crime Prevention and Control (CPAC) unit also responded last night and was on the scene at Addison Gilbert Hospital.