EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Breaking News

Latest News

February 1, 2013

Candle fire sends 3 to hospital

LAWRENCE — Three people, including two infants, suffered smoke inhalation when a candle ignited papers in an apartment building in Lowell Street.

The fire broke out about 9 at 391-393 Lowell St., a 3-story, 5-apartment building a few blocks west of Broadway.

It started in the first-floor apartment of owner Edward Abiu when a candle on the kitchen table melted down and set fire to papers on the table, according to Abiu.

Fire officials said smoke rose through a stairway to affect a woman on the second floor and two year-old twin girls on the third. They were taken to the hospital. Their names and conditions were not immediately available.

The fire was quickly doused; firefighters had already cleared the scene before 10 a.m.

The building also houses Edward Convenience Store, owned by Abiu.

 

 

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Latest News

AP Video
Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN Raw: Deadly Landslide Hits Indian Village Obama Chides House GOP for Pursuing Lawsuit New Bill Aims to Curb Sexual Assault on Campus Russia Counts Cost of New US, EU Sanctions 3Doodler Bring 3-D Printing to Your Hand Six PA Cops Indicted for Robbing Drug Dealers Britain Testing Driverless Cars on Roadways Raw: Thousands Flocking to German Crop Circle At Least 20 Chikungunya Cases in New Jersey Raw: Obama Eats Ribs in Kansas City In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast Raw: Otters Enjoy Water Slides at Japan Zoo NCAA Settles Head-injury Suit, Will Change Rules Raw: Japanese Soldiers Storm Beach in Exercises Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA
Photos of the Week