EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

February 1, 2013

Candle fire sends 3 to hospital


The Eagle-Tribune

---- — LAWRENCE — Three people, including two infants, suffered smoke inhalation when a candle ignited papers in an apartment building in Lowell Street.

The fire broke out about 9 at 391-393 Lowell St., a 3-story, 5-apartment building a few blocks west of Broadway.

It started in the first-floor apartment of owner Edward Abiu when a candle on the kitchen table melted down and set fire to papers on the table, according to Abiu.

Fire officials said smoke rose through a stairway to affect a woman on the second floor and two year-old twin girls on the third. They were taken to the hospital. Their names and conditions were not immediately available.

The fire was quickly doused; firefighters had already cleared the scene before 10 a.m.

The building also houses Edward Convenience Store, owned by Abiu.