Skinner’s website described the relationship between the artist and the recipient, a member of an old Gloucester family.
Lane was often a guest of Dr. Joseph Lowe Stevens, Sr., at his home in Castine, Maine, where Lane first visited in 1848. Over the years, Lane dedicated several of his paintings to Dr. Stevens’s son, Joseph Lowe Stevens, Jr. (1823-1908). A friendship developed between Lane and the family.
“The younger Stevens, who moved from Castine to Gloucester in 1840, became a close friend of Lane, most likely meeting the artist through the Gloucester Lyceum library, where both men were members. The friendship blossomed as Lane spent more time in Gloucester, especially after he moved into his stone house on the hill,” according to the Skinner website.
That “house on the hill” refers to the Fitz Henry Lane house on Harbor Loop, which overlooks the inner harbor and where he did many of his paintings later in life.
“Lane spent a number of summers in the 1850s in Castine, staying at the ‘Old Homestead,’ as the Stevens’s residence was known. From the house there was a good view down to the waterfront and the bay.
Joseph Stevens, Jr., would row or sail Lane to various locations in the Penobscot Bay where Lane would sketch scenes he would later turn into oils in his Gloucester studio,” according to the Skinner website.
Gail McCarthy can be reached at 978-283-7000, x3445, or at email@example.com.