The familiar taste of lemonade comes heavy with happy memories of childhood picnics and days at the beach.
Mary Poehnelt, the Butcher from Belchertown and runner-up on FOX’s hit show “Hell’s Kitchen,” gives lemonade a twist with an infusion of berries and honey.
The acidity of the lemon, Mary says, essentially cooks the berries, causing them to release their red color and sweetness, leaving the lemonade fruity and pink.
To maintain purity of flavor, Mary uses bottled spring water instead of regular tap, which she says is often over-chlorinated and can impact the taste.
The pure water, whole fruit and fresh lemon juice with a touch of honey combine to make a refreshing and healthy drink to sip with family and friends all year long.
Strawberry Raspberry Lemonade
preparation time: 10 minutes
10 fresh strawberries
1 cup of raspberries
11/2 .5L bottles of spring water
1 squirt of honey
Extra berry slices, lemon slices and raspberries to garnish
1. Slice the strawberries lengthwise and place in bowl.
2. Add the raspberries and a squirt of honey to the bowl.
3. Slice the lemons in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl. If the lemons are firm, roll them gently on cutting board before slicing; this releases the juice.
4. Using a spoon, toss the berry and lemon mixture.
5. Pour in the spring water. The optimal combination is one-third acid to two-thirds water.
6. Mix again, pushing down on the berries to smash them.
7. Decorate glasses with a lemon slice at the bottom and a strawberry slice on the rim. Add ice to the glasses and ladle the lemonade in. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Mary Poehnelt, 2013.