In her newest confectionary creation, Rosanne LeBlanc enhances her legendary turtle candies with kelp. Kelp adds a salty depth of flavor to the already sweet and rich candies. A type of seaweed, kelp is notorious for infusing foods with a boost of umami, a savory flavor. New research also indicates that kelp could carry remarkable health benefits, specifically, the ability to suppress human fat intake. Kelp is also rich in antioxidants and iodine.
Rosanne adds this flavor and nutrient boost by simply sprinkling kelp flakes, which you can find at your local grocery store, between layers of chocolate. The quick addition elevates the turtle to new depths of flavor that, while certainly unique, will be appealing to all.
2 tablespoons chocolate
2 tablespoons caramel
1/4 cup mixed nuts
1 teaspoon kelp flakes
1. Melt chocolate in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time or until soft. Pour melted chocolate into small circles on parchment paper.
2. Drop mixed nuts into chocolate. Allow chocolate to spread.
3. Pour on more melted chocolate and sprinkle with kelp flakes.
4. Let cool.
5. Roll caramel into a ball and stretch out. Make sure the caramel is thinner around the edges.
6. Press the caramel on top of nuts and chocolate.
7. Drizzle more melted chocolate on top. Stick a larger piece of kelp vertically into the chocolate for a decorative touch. Let cool and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Rosanne LeBlanc, rosannesbiscotti.com, 2013.