2. Finely mince together the onion, carrot, celery and parsley.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot and cook the minced vegetables until mixture softens. Add the meats and brown them. Raise the heat to high and add the wine. Let most evaporate off. Add the salt, pepper, bay leaf, cloves, tomato paste.
4. Cook uncovered over low heat for 30 minutes. Add the peas. Set aside.
5. Meanwhile make the cream sauce: Melt the butter in a medium size saucepan and stir in the flour to make a paste. Slowly add the milk and whisk until smooth. Add pepper and nutmeg.
6. Combine the ragu and cream sauce and set aside. Keep 1 cup separate to spoon on top of the casserole.
7. Cook the anelletti until very al dente, about 7 minutes. Do not over cook as they will cook in the oven again.
8. Drain and combine the anelletti with the ragu and cream sauce mixture.
9. Transfer to the casserole dish and spread the remaining sauce on top.
10. Sprinkle with the cheese and dot with butter.
11. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven until the top is nicely browned, about 35 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Mary Ann Esposito, “Ciao Italia,” www.pbs.org.