Featuring warm winter spices like cinnamon and cloves, these Midnight Crackle Cookies are the perfect treat to share with your friends and family. With their rich chocolate taste and slight crunch, these cookies are also perfect for the sweet tooth cravings that often accompanies the end of a warm meal.
Culinary student, Aaron Perrott, suggests, “These delicious cookies are also perfect on any holiday dessert table and when sprinkled with some sugar they look very festive.”
The spicy- sweet combination of the chocolates and spices makes for a tasty, yet unique dessert. After baking, the cookies are crisp outside with a moist chocolate center that will have your chocolate lovers begging for more. And, since dough can be chilled for up to three days and with such a low baking time you can give them just that. Delicate and decadent, these cookies are perfect for this holiday season, provided of course, you can keep up with the demand.
Midnight Crackle Cookies
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate
5 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup light brown sugar
11/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of cloves
Pinch of cinnamon
Sugar for sprinkling
1. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Chop the chocolate into pieces. Add the chocolate pieces, butter, and sugar to a small pan and set over low heat. Slowly melt the ingredients, stirring every couple of minutes.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, cloves and cinnamon into a large bowl.
4. Pour the melted chocolate mix into a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Begin to mix batter and add in eggs one at a time. When the eggs are incorporated slowly add in the dry mixture. The batter should be clinging to the mixer attachment.
5. Take the batter out of the bowl and roll it into a ball. Cover the ball with plastic wrap and set it in a bowl and then place it in a refrigerator for at least an hour. Meanwhile heat oven to 350 degrees.