1 12-ounce package Applewood smoked bacon
1 large white onion, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
2 medium red chili peppers
2 medium jalapeño peppers
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 12-ounce bottle Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock Beer (or other dark beer) **
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
3 tablespoons tomato paste
11/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 16-ounce can black beans
1 16-ounce can red kidney beans
** Note from Pat: I could not find Samuel Adams but substituted with a chocolate stout beer from the Brooklyn Brewery.
Mince the garlic, dice the onion and red bell peppers. For the chili and jalapeño peppers, remove the caps and ends, halve lengthwise and slice about 1/4-inch thick.
1. Dice the bacon and fry until softened and the fat begins to render in a large pan. Add the bacon and the bacon fat to the pot.
2. Decase the sausage and sauté in the large pan; use a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage as it cooks.
3. Once the sausage is nicely browned, stir in the onion, red bell pepper, hot peppers, garlic, chili powder and cumin and continue cooking until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the beer and allow it to simmer for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Add to large pot.
5. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and allow it to simmer, uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes on medium-low, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
6. Drain the beans; stir in the beans and the corn. Let this come to a simmer and cook an additional 20 to 30 minutes.
7. Transfer to a slow cooker and let it simmer all morning.
Serve with: Fritos corn chips, sour cream, shredded Mexican cheese
Happy Jack’s Mexican Cornbread
Enjoy this cornbread with cheddarjack cheese and peppers layered in the middle.
1 cup all-purpose cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour