Break away from your usual Valentine gift of boxed chocolates. Offer your sweetie some special chocolate bark, made with your own hands.
Above and beyond the usual chocolate fare is this Mystery Chef recipe for an elegant Black Cherry Chocolate Bourbon Bark made with Jim Beam’s Red Stag infused bourbon.
We have chosen Jim Beam as our favorite ingredient in this recipe, but you can make your own cherry-infused bourbon quite easily, as the following recipe will show.
Even people who are not bourbon lovers may become fans. You only need to add dried cherries (no sweeteners are needed) and let sit for a few days to a couple of weeks.
While the resulting flavored bourbon goes in the chocolate, the cherries are great used to top ice cream or in drinks.
6 ounces dried cherries (we used Mariani brand sweetened dried tart cherries)
3 cups bourbon
1. Place dried cherries in a mason jar or covered carafe and cover with bourbon.
2. Place in a cool, dry place and let sit for a few days to two weeks. Your taste test will determine how long you want to let it sit.
Experiment and have fun!
Recipe adapted from Boozed + Infused
Black Cherry Bourbon Bark
3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate (such as 1 3.5-ounce bar of Lindt’s 70% Cocoa Dark Chocolate)
2 tablespoons bourbon (we suggest Jim Beam Black Cherry Bourbon)
1/3 cup whole roasted hazelnuts (or other favorite nuts)
1. Break up the chocolate into pieces and put into the microwave for 15 seconds, in a microwave safe bowl of plastic container. Check to see if melted, and then repeat the process as necessary.
2. Add bourbon, and gently mix together with a spoon.
3. On aluminum foil, arrange the hazelnuts. Pour the chocolate over the nuts.
4. Place flat into the freezer to set for 30 minutes.
5. Break into pieces.